A modern classic Holiday dish is Green Bean Casserole. This salty, savory side dish uses classic ingredients including Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup and French’s Fried Onion Rings. The recipe also includes a whopping 215 calories, 575g sodium, 14g total fat, 6g sat. fat, and 20g carbs per ½ cup serving. Here’s a simple, healthier twist on this traditional Holiday food.
Total: 1 hour (Prep: 15 min, Cook, 45 min)
- 1lb. frozen cut green bean (thawed and drained)
- 2 med. yellow onions (thinly sliced)
- ¼ C. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. or 2 cloves minced garlic
- 12 oz. mushrooms (pre-sliced)
- 1 C. Low sodium chicken broth
- 1 C. half and half
- Salt and pepper to taste
1.Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
2. Mix onions, bread crumbs, flour and a pinch of salt.
3. Spread on a greased baking sheet and bake 20 minutes. Toss occasionally.
1. Sauté garlic and mushrooms with a little bit of butter on medium heat for 5 minutes.
2. Add greens beans and salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes sprinkling with flour.
3. Add broth and half and half. Simmer for 1 minute. Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.
4. In a 9x13in. baking dish combine the sauté with ¼ of the onions. Top the dish with the remaining onions and bake 15 minutes.
Save time! Use pre-sliced mushrooms and/or onions to reduce prep time.
Save a dish! Mix onions, bread crumbs and flour in the 9×13 dish from Step 6. No need to wash in between or use another bowl!
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 198; Total Fat: 9g; Sat. Fat: 6g; Sodium: 51mg; Carbs. 25g
For video directions, click HERE